Your loved ones deserve real protection, real safety

When parents experience the joys of welcoming a new child into this world, there is also this huge new responsibility. A precious new life, a new crib, new clothes, a nursery. Pretty soon it’s a year gone bye. Baby is starting to become adventurous – standing in their cot, looking out the window inquisitive.

 

By two they’re mobile. Move the cot away from the window. Make sure the blind cords are out of reach.

From 3 through to school age, toddlers become ‘tyro’s’. Everything is a challenge. If it’s there then it’s to be climbed, if it swings let’s swing from it – if you can jump.

Stop the video right here. In up to 50% of older housing stock in Australia there are venetian blinds – with dangling unprotected cords. Add to this the thousands upon thousands of the very popular wooden plantation blinds sold through the mid 2000s up until today – again all with long dangling cords. Quite simply these represent serious safety risks to young children – strangulation is unfortunately a very real possibility. Realistically it’s a definite risk for all children aged up to 6-7 years of age. It takes but a short period – less than a minute for the child to lose consciousness. After 30-40 seconds, the risk is asphyxiation resulting in death or permanent brain damage.

ht_blinds_kids_composite_lf_151106_12x5_1600.jpg

Child victims of blind cord strangulations

It was mentioned to us that Cordaway might not be aesthetically pleasing to some consumers. Actually the Cordaway device is 230mm high, 45mm wide and 28mm deep. It is attractive and was designed and then approved by Industrial Designers and Interior Designers. It is unobtrusive and yet completely contains the cords in a manner where they are inaccessible to small children. Only an adult will comfortably remove the outer cover, even then it is a significant job for a child to actually unwind the cords from the device. And consider the device is far and away out of a small child’s reach fixed to the window architrave or wall. It is functional and fits in with modern decor.

cropped-wp-banner-use1.jpg

Once your children have reached safe age and you are confident of their awareness and common sense, it is a simple job to remove the Cordaway device if you desire. Simply fill up the screwholes and repaint the architraves.

Cordaway-logo-xlA plastic cleat may seem more attractive but in reality it’s probably limited in its safety application and easily accessed if not placed high enough.

To be Kid-Safe, it’s really simple. Fit a Cordaway Device and ensure real safety for your family. Available soon.

Safety really does matter

In Victoria, the Consumer Affairs Department offers a full section on Blind Cord Safety. It provides a ‘safety kit’ on its website. The safety kit is simply a cleat on which to tension and then wrap around the exposed blind cords. it is simple but not necessarily the most effective solution.

curtain-blind-instructions

At least 12 young children have died in Australia as a result of getting tangled in exposed and loose blind cords since 2002. This includes 2 in Victoria in 2009. By the very nature of such cords young children can easily be strangled causing death or permanent brain damage. Often it is a cord that has been reachable from a cot, bed or furniture.

Remember the ACCC has recommended stringent safety standards for the industry selling such blinds with specific instructions for professionals and home-owners fitting such blinds.

Last year there were tragic reports of child deaths from strangulation by blind cords from all over the globe. The USA, Canada, Germany, The UK, Ireland, this is a universal problem.

We firmly believe that the Cordaway product is a realistic and effective device to prevent such tragedies.

Only last year this story was saddening much of the US…

Former NFL Player Reno Mahe’s Daughter Dies From Window Blind Cord Accident

The 3-year-old daughter of former Philadelphia Eagles running back Reno Mahe has died a week after a tragic accident at the family’s Utah home November 22.

elsie-mahe-63ad4bf8-5676-459b-bbd1-55b372228dac

Elsie Mahe was playing with a friend when the cords from a mini blind became twisted around her neck, Fox 13 reported. The family does not not know how it happened or how long she was entangled. The child’s mother, Sunny Mahe, began performing CPR before paramedics arrived. Elsie was later pronounced brain dead at Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City.

Mahe and his wife, Sunny, revealed that Elsie had passed away in an emotional Instagram post Tuesday, November 29. “Our Elsie girl has officially been released to heaven — at least from a worldly, paperwork stand point. Her second neurological death exam was also positive for brain death,” they wrote. “We feel peace and we are again so grateful for the privilege of being Elsie’s parents.”

The Mahes also said they will be donating Elsie’s organs.

Source

You can watch the Fox 13 video about the story here

Such a sad tragic story, this does not need to happen. The Cordaway device is specifically designed to enclose all cords and remove the cords from the reach of children.

IMG_7060a2

Be sure to warn your family and friends of this very real danger. You can visit the Victorian Government’s Consumer Affairs page here with the specific information re the safety kits and recommendations regarding blind cord safety. The Cordaway device being prepared for market is a much better alternative. Please stay tuned for information on availability and cost as we launch over the next 3 months.

New Safety Device Protecting Children’s Lives

cordaway600Cordaway-logo-xl

The Cordaway Blind Cord Safety Unit is a modern device designed by industry professionals to achieve effective storage of hanging cords on Venetian, Roman, Plantation and other blinds or curtains with exposed hanging blind cords. As yet it is not available for sales, but will soon be included in new blind units sold with dangling cords and then it will be available as an aftersale purchase.

In many homes across Australia there lurks a hidden and often unthought of danger. Children have died or suffered permanent brain damage as a result of this hazard. Innocently playing near windows with venetian blinds, plantation blinds, roman blinds and others with exposed cords, the child gets caught in the cords and it’s too late to save them from strangulation after less than a minute.

In the USA one child a month suffers this terrible fate. At one stage in 2012 over 50 million blind units were recalled on the basis of this serious safety risk. In the USA, as in Australia, there is now legislation prescribing stringent safety precautions for anyone selling such blinds. Products must now carry a warning on all packaging and retailers stock a range of devices used to contain the cords and put them out of reach of children. Many of these devices are simplistic, being either cleats attached to the wall or architrave, or a winding device that retracts excess cord.

The most effective devices are those that apply the KISS principal – Keep It Simple Stupid – where it is simply a matter of winding the cord up and removing child access effectively. Nothing complicated, nothing exposed and well out of reach.

Cordaway is the latest product designed to provide complete safety and peace of mind to parents who have exposed internal blind cords in their homes.

An attractive unit in a muted white tone or similar, the backing plate is screwed onto the window architrave or adjacent wall. The cords are wound on and the unit top is snap shut. A child can neither reach the unit nor open it.

The Cordaway group are looking to ensure that the unit is packaged and included in all new blind units with cords sold. Very easy to fit, it’s a fantastic device that ultimately will save lives.

Invented and produced here in Australia, stay tuned for further information on availability and price.