The devastated parents of a “sweet little girl” who died after becoming entangled in a blind cord in their Sydney home have pleaded for other parents to check their child’s cots for any signs of danger.
The parents, who asked not to be identified, said they would always treasure the short time they shared with 15-month-old Eden, who was found in her cot choking on the cord at their Quakers Hill home on Tuesday evening.
Eden was taken to Westmead Children’s Hospital in a critical condition but died later that night.
Her death came just five days after a 16-month-old girl died in almost identical circumstances in Hornsby.
Eden’s grieving parents on Wednesday urged other parents to take action to prevent the heartache they now were experiencing.
“Words cannot express the absolute devastation we are feeling at the loss of our baby girl, Eden,” they said in a statement.
“It is absolutely unfathomable that a tragedy like this could happen … We encourage every parent to check their child’s cot for even the slightest danger.
“We will always treasure the short time we had with our sweet little girl. We are confident we will one day see Eden again.”
They also asked for privacy so they could come to terms with their terrible loss.
Police said they were called to the home on Hillcrest Avenue at Quakers Hill at 6.25pm on Tuesday after a child was found unconscious in her cot.
Paramedics and a CareFlight doctor worked to resuscitate Eden before taking her to Westmead Children’s Hospital.
Detectives from Quakers Hill Local Area Command are investigating the incident, but said initial investigations suggested the child became entangled in a blind cord.
Last Thursday, a 16-month-old girl in Hornsby died after becoming entangled in a cord while she slept in her cot.
And in August last year, 18-month-old Jack Mackay, from Mallabula, north of Newcastle, also died when he was caught up in blind cords.
KidSafe executive officer Christine Erksine said parents were not always aware of the dangers posed by blind cords.
“It’s just one of those horrible accidents that can happen,” Ms Erskine said. “It’s just something you wouldn’t be aware of.
“One of the issues is in smaller rooms, there’s not much choice about where to put furniture, so you may put the cot against the window for light and space.
“We suggest that cots and bedding are away from a window. And you have blinds and cords that meet the new standards.”
In 2010, the government introduced mandatory standards for blinds, stating that manufacturers had to include a warning label about cords on the packaging and attached to the cord itself.
Blinds also have to now come with instructions on how to install cords to prevent child injuries.
At least 11 children died in Australia between 2001 and 2008 after being caught in blind cords, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said.
It recommends tying cords out of reach of children. The ACCC has put together an information sheet for parents on blind cord safety.
To be Kid-Safe, it’s really simple. Fit a Cordaway Blind Cord Safety Device and ensure real safety for your family.