Internal Blind Cords Are Lethal For Small Children

For some reason there is a rather spurious story currently doing the rounds in the retail sector that Blind Cords are a thing of the past and new internal blinds are now ‘safe’. But factually that’s simply not true. Visit your largest hardware chain or homewares store and you will find Venetian and Plantation blinds with cords for sale right now. Not only that, but consider the millions of such blinds currently in use in Australia, in both owner occupied and rental properties. The fact is that blind cords are still a major hazard and risk for young children in many, many Australian homes.

The solution is Cordaway, a simple device with the advantage of taking the entire length of the blind cord and enclosing it above and beyond prying little hands. Recommended by Kidsafe Australia, the units are available now online and will soon be available for purchase at major retail outlets – hardware, homeware and baby care style retailers.

Read these stories and decide for yourself what level of safety is adequate for your child.

Mum shares horrifying photo after blind cord wraps around toddler’s neck.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.10.29 am.jpg

The 3-year-old boy later told his mum he was ‘trying to make a necklace’ 

A mum from Utah in the US has shared terrifying photos of her young son’s neck after the blind from a cord wrapped around his neck and very nearly strangled him to death.

“Our sweet 3-year-old boy is a survivor” Arika Hernandez wrote in a Facebook post this month.

The toddler was playing on a top bunk when he wrapped the cord around his neck as a game.

He later told his mum that he had been ‘trying to make a necklace’.

It’s a miracle the cord snapped

After the cord was wrapped, the little boy started climbing down the ladder of his bed as the cord tightened.

“He panicked and tried to yell for mum and dad but nothing came out,” Arika wrote in her warning to other mums.

“He scratched at the cords to loosen them but all he could grab was skin.”

Incredibly, as an act of desperation, the little boy leapt from the ladder and the blind cord broke, saving his life.

“We heard a loud thump – his jump – and then his loud scream. This was not just any scream, [but] one I have never heard in my life,” the shocked mum wrote. “It will be forever ringing in my ears.”

The mum raced her little boy to hospital where doctors were shocked that he had been so lucky. “These blind cords are not meant to break,” she explained.

“We are counting our blessings! God has big plans for our little boy. It was not his time to go.”

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.11.01 am.jpg

Another parent shared her own tragedy

Tragically, another parent shared that her little boy had not been so fortunate.

“Our three year old son Daniel died 9 years ago on Jan 21 2010 when he strangled on the corded window blinds in his bedroom during what was supposed to be his nap time,” said mum Andrea Sutton.

“They were tied up but kids are curious and it only takes that one time…”

Both mums explained that they hoped other parents would hear their warnings and remove all corded blinds from their homes.

“NO CORDED BLINDS ARE SAFE!” wrote Arika. “They now sell cordless blinds and they are worth every penny.”

“Even if you cut the cords once the blinds are lifted up it creates a hazard. The cords cannot be cut short to make them safer… there are still inner cords and if the cord is pulled so the blinds go all the way up, that pull-cord will then be long enough to make a loop & strangle a child.”

Arika also urged parents to love and appreciate every second with their little ones.

”Hug the people that mean the most to you,” she wrote.

“Be grateful you have another beautiful day with them.”

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.11.09 am.jpg

Where the cord snapped, saving the little boy’s life

How to keep your child safe around blinds:

The ACCC in Australia has frequently warned parents about the dangers of corded blinds.

They offer these tips when buying blinds:

  • Choose blinds and curtains with safe design features and warning labels.
  • Ensure the blind provides a way to secure cords so there are no loops or strands that children can reach.
  • Consider blinds that operate without exposed cords.

Safety tips if you already have blinds with cords that you can’t remove:

  • Buy tie-downs and tension devices from hardware or window furnishing stores. (Cordaway)
  • Do not put children’s cots, beds, highchairs or playpens near a window where children can reach the blind or curtain cords.
  • Do not place sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases near windows with corded blinds or curtains.
  • Check all window furnishings and place all cords out of children’s reach.


You can purchase Cordaway Blind Safety Devices online right now at Single units are $9.60 plus postage whilst purchases above 5 units attract a discount with units then being priced at $8.60 each. Shipping is at normal Australia Post rates.

Cordaway is the safe solution.

Be Sure. Be Safe. Use Cordaway.

To be Kid-Safe, it’s really simple. Fit a Cordaway Blind Cord Safety Device and ensure real safety for your family.